Discourse Group Management
If you have connected a Discourse account to your Doki account using our integration, you can also use the integration's Group system to add and remove your Doki students from private Groups on Discourse based on their purchase history (which Package they bought, for example) or by manually adding them to a Doki Group.
To use this feature, you should already have set up your Doki account to work with your Discourse account and Doki should be set up to handle Discourse sign in via our Single-Sign-On feature.
If you haven't done this yet, click here to get the instructions on how to set up this relationship.
If your Discourse account is connected to Doki and students are signing in to the discussions area via Doki, you can continue setting up Discourse Groups with Doki!
How it works
First we create a Group on Doki. A corresponding Group will also be created in your Discourse account automatically. Next you can associate the Group with a Doki Package. When anyone is granted access to the Course via a Package, they will also be added to any Groups associated with the Package. Doki will then add them to the Group on Discourse. When they are unenrolled from the Course/Package, we also remove them from corresponding Groups on Doki and Discourse.
Add a Discourse Group on Doki
To start, we're going to create a Discourse Group using Doki.
- Click on the "Students" link in the admin sidebar.
- Click on the "Groups" tab.
- Click the "Add Group" button.
- Make sure the "Group Type" is set to "Discourse" and enter a name for your group. The "Group Identifier" will automatically be generated for you (which is how we identify it on Discourse).
- Click "Add" to create the group. It may take a second as it's created on Discourse.
Now you can visit your Discourse site and click the "stacked" menu icon in the top right and select "Groups".
You should see your new Group there.
It should be Private and you will be the sole member and owner.
Adding a Group to a Package
If we want all Students enrolled in a Package to be added to a Group, we can associate that Group with the Package.
- Click on the "Courses" link in the admin sidebar.
- Click on the course you want to manage.
- Click the "Selling" tab and select "Packages".
- Click the "Edit" button next to the Package you want to add to your group.
- Click the "Groups" item in the Package sidebar.
- Select the Discourse Group you created and click the "Add" button.
Now when any Students are added to this Package, they will automatically be granted access to the associated Course, but also get added to any Group(s) associated with the Package. When they are added to a Doki group, we'll also place them in the Discourse Group as well.
Adding a User to a Group
You can also manually add a User to a Group (and remove them as well).
- Click on the "People" link in the admin sidebar.
- Find the person you want to add to a group and click their name.
- Click the "Enrollments & Access" tab.
- Under the "Groups" section, select the Discourse Group you want to add them to and click "Add".
The Student is added to the Group and the corresponding Discourse Group automatically.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If they have yet to sign into Discourse, they will be added to the Discourse Group when they access Discourse for the first time.
Managing Content on Discourse with Groups
Private Discourse Groups allow you to create content in the forums that only certain users can see. For example, you can create a Category that only a Group managed by Doki can see. This allows you to create private content for only certain of your students.
- Create a New Category.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the "X" next to the "everyone" Permission.
- Select your Doki Group and leave "Create / Reply / See" selected.
- Click "Add Permission"
Now only Students that are part of that Group can see the content under this Category and Doki manages that access for you.
If you create a Category for each Group and then add Sub-categories, you can effectively create a private forum area for each Package/Cohort.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Sub-categories DO NOT inherit permissions from parent categories, so make sure to add the Group to each Category you create and remove the "everyone" permissions under Security.